The Justice Organizer staffs the Missouri HIV Justice Coalition and serves as the main conduit to community groups, advocates, and other supporters of modernizing Missouri’s outdated laws regarding HIV.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts regular coalition calls, updates constituency groups, and maintains ongoing outreach to allied partner groups throughout Missouri.
- Facilitates workshops and other outreach efforts to educate the public on the current status of HIV laws.
- Manage the MO HIV Justice social media accounts and coordinates content with the Communications Director.
- Coordinates HIV advocacy days at the state Capitol.
- Identify potential community advocates and leaders to expand network of leadership.
- Represent Empower Missouri and the MO HIV Justice Coalition at regional events.
- Assist with local efforts centered on key organizational project areas – criminal justice reform and support for the social safety net.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- A strong commitment to social justice and experience working with marginalized populations such as people living with low incomes; people living with HIV (PLHIV), People of Color (POC), and or Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer (LGBTQ) communities.
- While a Bachelors or Masters level degree is preferred, applicants with strong community organizing skills or other organizing experience are invited to apply.
- Ability to listen and receive constructive feedback as well as communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Leadership qualities and the ability to mobilize others to action.
- Strong ability to analyze social power and identify structural oppression and privilege.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends; some travel required (approximately 25%)
Policy and Organizing Manager
This position can be based anywhere in Missouri.
$38,000 – $42,000 annual salary
The HIV Justice Organizer is a full-time position. Empower Missouri offers a competitive benefits package including health/dental/vision insurance, three-weeks paid vacation & accrued sick days, with options for a retirement savings plan.
Please send a resume with cover letter to Jobs@EmpowerMissouri.org and include a salary requirement and references. No phone calls, please.