The Communications Director will develop and manage the online presence and communication strategy across multiple platforms including social, online and traditional media. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest and experience in social media and will engage and expand Empower Missouri’s online presence and support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate messaging strategy to staff and ensure standard and consistent use of core messaging principles in all public communications.
- Develop and implement an online organizing plan to engage and expand online presence through social networking sites, Facebook, Twitter, and organizational websites. This plan will parallel and complement field and fundraising plans as well as coordinate timing of email alerts and newsletters.
- Develop regular videos, blog posts, surveys, and online tools to engage supporters throughout the state.
- Support the Executive Director in outreach to print and other traditional media, coordinating press conferences, pitching stories, and highlighting actions of the organization and allies.
- Work with program staff to execute an earned media plan, including writing press releases and opinion pieces, spearheading letter to the editor campaigns, and pitching stories to reporters.
- Manage and keep current organizational website and all web content, including potential micro-sites for campaign specific efforts.
- Create images, graphics, and info-graphics for use on various campaigns. This often involves making national information relevant for Missouri.
- Occasionally serve as spokesperson for the organization if the Executive Director is unavailable.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- A strong commitment to social justice.
- Prior campaign, non-profit, or communications experience with significant experience with new media and social networking. Experience with graphic design, online organizing platforms, HTML, and video editing is a plus. Empower Missouri currently uses EveryAction, an NGPVAN related platform for events, communications, and donor management.
- Ability to listen and receive constructive feedback as well as communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Leadership qualities and the ability to mobilize others to action.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends; some travel required, typically to Jefferson City to support actions and efforts at the main office and state capitol.
Candidate can be located in any community in Missouri. The Communications Diector based can expect to visit our Jefferson City headquarters 2-4 times/month during Legislative Session and less frequently June-December.
$45,000 – $50,000 annual salary
The Communications Director position is a full-time position and salary is negotiable based upon experience. Empower Missouri offers health/dental/vision insurance, vacation & sick days, with options for a retirement savings plan.
Please send a resume with cover letter to [email protected] and include a salary requirement and references. No phone calls, please.