The Criminal Justice Task Force advocates for: Healing rather than vengeance; Community based alternatives to prison; Increasing public safety through preventive activities that address social issues of people at risk; and Responses that enable persons who commit crimes to develop and express remorse, make restitution, take responsibility for the consequences of their acts, and become integrated successfully into society.
Conduct an outreach campaign to educate and solicit support from key legislators regarding our positions on criminal justice issues (composition of the parole board, mandatory minimums/additional sentencing issues, expungement, and the death penalty).
Previous Year Goals
1. Ban the Box
- Organize and staff the Second Chance Coalition
- Advocate for the Ban the Box bill in the Missouri General Assembly
- Collect stories of those affected by the box on job applications
- Successfully submit letters to the editor/editorials regarding the issue
2. Parole Board
- Publish a white paper on the Missouri Parole Board
- Meet with Legislators and the Governor about the make-up of the board
- Work on legislation that would require certain experience before being placed on the parole board
If you are interested in getting involved in the Criminal Justice task force please contact Christine Woody or join our discussion and find out how you can contribute to criminal justice in Missouri through our Criminal Justice Task Force Google+ Community.
Task Force Events