The Justice Organizer staffs the Missouri HIV Justice Coalition and serves as the main conduit to community groups, advocates, and other supporters of modernizing Missouri’s outdated laws regarding HIV.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts regular coalition calls, updates constituency groups, and maintains ongoing outreach to allied partner groups throughout Missouri.
- Facilitates workshops and other outreach efforts to educate the public on the current status of HIV laws.
- Manages the MO HIV Justice social media accounts and coordinates content with the Communications Director.
- Coordinates HIV advocacy days at the state Capitol.
- Identifies potential community advocates and leaders to expand network of leadership.
- Represents Empower Missouri and the MO HIV Justice Coalition at regional events.
- Assists with local efforts centered on key organizational project areas – criminal justice reform and support for the social safety net.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- A strong commitment to social justice and experience working with marginalized populations – such as people living with low incomes, people living with HIV (PLHIV), People of Color (POC), and or Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer (LGBTQ) communities.
- Ability to listen and receive constructive feedback as well as communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Leadership qualities and the ability to mobilize others to action.
- Flexibility regarding hours, including the ability to work some evenings and weekends; some travel required.
- Strong ability to analyze social power and identify structural oppression and privilege.
- Understanding of the current health realities of People of Color, PLHIV and communities with low incomes in Missouri.
This position can be based anywhere in Missouri.
While a Bachelors or Masters level degree is preferred, life experience will be considered as equally important and can substitute for lack of a degree. Applicants with strong community organizing skills or other organizing experience are especially invited to apply.
The Justice Organizer is a full-time position, and initial starting salary is $35,000-$40,000. Empower Missouri offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision insurance, three-weeks paid vacation & accrued sick days, with options for a retirement savings plan.
Please send a resume with cover letter to Jobs@EmpowerMissouri.org and include a salary requirement and contact information for three references. No phone calls, please.
Empower Missouri is an Equal Employment Opportunity organization.