Can you organize and collaborate with people of different races, backgrounds, economic status, and even political party to work for a better Missouri for all of us?
Do you want to build people power to impact legislators in Jefferson City?
Are you willing to put your skills and resources behind every day Missourians to empower everyone to be an advocate?
Will you help plan and execute events like educational chapter forums, legislative happy hours, and press conferences?
If so, keep reading, or download this PDF of the job description.
Kansas City Regional Organizer
To facilitate and promote the mission of Empower Missouri in Kansas City and the surrounding region, with particular emphasis in Criminal Justice and Safety Net Programs.
- Coordinate Empower Missouri’s Kansas City area activities within existing coalitions, with existing collaborative partners, and reach out to potential additional partners and coalitions in the region (including Kansas-based organizations). At this time, the position will focus heavily on support of criminal justice reform and protecting/enhancing safety net programs.
- Coordinate, promote, publicize and support sponsored (or co-sponsored) public forums and other events in the Kansas City region, working with the Kansas City Chapter, staff, and other interested parties.
- Work with headquarters staff to maintain and update membership database, including volunteer information, members, and community leaders.
- Directly support the work of the Kansas City Chapter by attending meetings and events of the chapter, ensuring the minutes of the meetings are taken and distributed, and providing general logistical assistance.
- Represent Empower Missouri at meetings in the region.
- Coordinate advocates and groups to take part in & support actions at the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City along with Kansas City House and Senate Districts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in field closely related to public policy. Any combination of education and relevant experience can substitute.
- Experience working with volunteer organizations and volunteer boards, nonprofit, advocacy and/or grass-root entities – a strong preference for experience with criminal justice and/or safety net programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Good clerical, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and similar software. Prior experience with EveryAction or the Voter Access Network (VAN) is a plus.
- Ability to work independently from home while staying in touch with supervisor and other staff.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
The Kansas City Regional Organizer will be based out of Kansas City with some responsibility for regional support on the western and northwestern portions of Missouri. Limited travel around the state may be required on occasion.
The Kansas City Regional Organizer position is a full-time position and salary is negotiable based upon experience. Empower Missouri offers health/dental/vision insurance, vacation & sick days, with options for a retirement savings plan after one year of employment.
Please send a resume with cover letter to Jobs@EmpowerMissouri.org and include a salary requirement and references. No phone calls, please.