Empower Missouri is hiring!
Southeast Missouri Health Care Organizer at Empower Missouri
The Southeast Missouri Regional Health Care Organizer will work closely with the Director of the Missouri Medicaid Coalition as well as staff from Empower Missouri to create and execute a plan that 1) builds a base of supporters for increased health care access in Southeast Missouri and 2) mobilizes that base into action. The work will include travel (reimbursed), evening and weekend hours.
- Identify and engage supportive organizations in Southeast Missouri around increased access to health care.
- Recruit and mobilize supporters in Southeast Missouri to engage on health care access issues through education events, in-district meetings, canvasses and phonebanks to build public support, and other tactics.
- Participate in local coalitions that are working on health care access.
- Track and report all activities on a monthly basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with diverse groups and organizational allies that support health care access.
- Identify and engage consumers that are uninsured due to the Medicaid gap or other health care access issues.
- Conduct educational community and organizational presentations on health care access issues.
- Write action alerts and use social media to educate and mobilize supporters in support of increase health care access.
- Organize press events, letters to the editor, and op eds to raise broad public awareness of the stakes of Missouri’s decision on health care access issues, such as Medicaid expansion.
- Solid commitment to increasing access to health care and the mission of Empower Missouri. (See www.EmpowerMissouri.org.)
- 1-2 years experience in grassroots organizing or campaigns.
- Experience in some or all grassroots organizing tactics, including in-district meetings, phonebanking, canvassing, community outreach, earned media, volunteer training and leadership development.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a wide range of organizations and people.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter, and to work independently toward agreed upon goals.
- Reliable transportation and driver’s license (mileage is reimbursed).
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Proficient in computer skills, including word processing, Excel and Google docs.
This position will be based in southeast Missouri, from the organizer’s home or from office space that the organizer may be able to secure from an ally organization, faith community, or agency.
In-state travel will be required, with mileage paid by Empower Missouri at the current IRS rate. Other approved expenses will also be reimbursed.
The Southeast Missouri Health Care Organizer a full-time salaried position funded for two years, and funding will be sought (including the organizer’s own fundraising efforts) to continue the position after the initial two-years of funding expires. Annual salary as of December 1 is a starting range of $30,000-34,000.
Benefits include health insurance, employer-match for IRA contributions, paid vacation, holidays and sick leave, as specified in the Empower Missouri Personnel Policies.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by November 16 to Jeanette@EmpowerMissouri.org.